In accordance with the different planning needs, the fire fighting systems can be composed by pumps connected to electric motors or to diesel motors. The jockey pump works only to keep the constant pressure in the system in case of small water leaks. The delivery and the head of the jockey pump can not be considered in the total calculation of the systems supply. The main pump is controlled by an electric panel and the pump is automatically started by its pressure switch. The main pump keeps on working till the manual stop (UNI EN 12854 10.7.5.2). The jockey pump stops automatically when the pressure is restored. The fire fighting systems are built according to:
- UNI EN 12845 – fixed fire fighting systems – automatic sprinkler systems;
- UNI 10779 – fire fighting equipment – hydrant systems;
- UNI EN 9906 Encl. A – Hydraulic performance acceptance tests;
- 2006/42/CE Machinery Directive;
- 2006/95/CE Low Voltage Directive.